[Mediawiki-i18n] Please view and comment CAPTCHA images in 154 languages

Shimmin suburbanpanther at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Apr 2 20:19:30 UTC 2014

On 01/04/2014 23:30, Federico Leva (Nemo) wrote:

> I suppose you're only talking of the morphological side here, right?
> The current patch contains a couple lines to handle hyphenation for
> Finnish, because it was originally provided by Nikerabbit, but we're
> definitely not going to build a universal grammar of univerbation in a
> MediaWiki script. Unless someone comes up with a general solution I
> think we'll drop that part.
>
> If this turns out to be confusing, I'd rather just show the two (or N)
> words as separate words, what do you think? This can be done in a
> separate patch; once we introduce some other security improvements, I
> think the challenge of identifying where one word ends and the next
> starts may be redundant.
I thought you probably weren't trying for that, just wanted to check!
It shouldn't really matter unless there are any desperately unclear
images where people need to guess, and I haven't seen any.

>> Should this be "leigh"?
>
> Yes. If incorrect, please edit: https://en.wiktionary.org/?oldid=23059687
The dictionary entry is correct, with no -t.  Not sure where that can be
coming from.

>> The form "vaayl" is a rare grammar-induced form of an unusual word
>
> In this case it's again a proper noun, no idea how correct or how
> current: <https://en.wiktionary.org/?oldid=21902154>
Ah, got it.  This is also grammar (it's the vocative/genitive).  I would
tend to recommend only using dictionary forms of words as some
inflections are quite obscure, but it's not a huge problem.  Also I
appreciate getting only dictionary forms may be a challenge.

>> Hard to read, could be "hiu shee" or "niu shee"
>
> It was "hiu": no "niu" in our dictionary. If the latter is a valid
> word, you should add it to Wiktionary and then we can try to figure
> out something to exclude confusable words.
>
> Once again, the proposed approach is to rely on a mix of Unicode magic
> and self-healing (wiki) dictionary. Neither is enough alone.
There's no niu that I know of, but it'd be a valid word and there are
many obscure terms around, so really this is an issue of the image being
unclear I suppose, especially the apparent contrast betwen the first and
second Hs.

Thanks,
Shimmin