[Mediawiki-i18n] [Commons-l] Enabling the Translate and UniversalLanguageSelector extensions on Commons

Federico Leva (Nemo) nemowiki at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 15:39:28 UTC 2013

Jean-Frédéric, 22/01/2013 16:14:
> (Please keep commons-l cc-ed, not everyone is subscribed to
> mediawiki-i18n. :)
>
>         Could the extension can, or be tweaked to, help with our other
>         multilingual content?
>         […]
>
>     LS is already deprecated and should be killed at least for templates
>     (multichill told me very few if any still use it, right?);
>
> Well, it has more than 3.7 millions transclusions… See also
> <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Internationalization_templates_using_LangSwitch>

Sorry, I meant LanguageSelect (LS/WM:LS on Meta), not LangSwitch.

>         Just asking: would it play nicely with our AnonymousI18N script?
>         <https://commons.wikimedia.__org/wiki/MediaWiki:__AnonymousI18N.js
>         <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki:AnonymousI18N.js>>
>
>     If it's what I remember, that would be superseded.
>

> AFAIK, AnonymousI18N handles the following :
>
> * Language selection
>   → Handled − that is kind of the purpose of the Universal Language
> *Selector* right ? ;-)
> * Language suggestion, based on « data from cookie, referal url &
> browser settings »
> "referal" means that AnonymousI18N can detect that your  are coming from
> it.wikipedia.org <http://it.wikipedia.org>, your interface should be in
> Italian
> → What about ULS ?

I think ULS is smarter than that.

> * Language “uselang” persistency, regardless of the previous
> Meaning, if landing on Commons from a URL with ?uselang=fr (obviously
> from templates on projects, but also from links everywhere [people like
> me who always tweet/write links with a uselang ;-)]), the ?uselang=fr is
> set for all outbound links, meaning language persistency.
>
> → ULS does not appear to do that from my test on TranslateWiki.
> (Arriving from <https://translatewiki.net/?uselang=it>, interface in
> Italian ; clicking a link, interface in French)

This is an "abuse" of ?uselang, more "standard" would be ?setlang. The
selection is persistent with ULS, but uselang is not the way to make it;
uselang still works as usual, though.
What features of ULS can be enabled or not, I'm not able to say. As
Niklas replied on Commons on this point, I guess it's better to continue
there?

Nemo