[Mediawiki-i18n] [Commons-l] Enabling the Translate and UniversalLanguageSelector extensions on Commons

Jean-Frédéric jeanfrederic.wiki at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 15:14:56 UTC 2013

(Please keep commons-l cc-ed, not everyone is subscribed to mediawiki-i18n.
:)

 Could the extension can, or be tweaked to, help with our other
>> multilingual content?
>> […]
>>
> LS is already deprecated and should be killed at least for templates
> (multichill told me very few if any still use it, right?);

Well, it has more than 3.7 millions transclusions… See also <
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Internationalization_templates_using_LangSwitch>

Just asking: would it play nicely with our AnonymousI18N script?
>> <https://commons.wikimedia.**org/wiki/MediaWiki:**AnonymousI18N.js<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki:AnonymousI18N.js>
>> >

>  If it's what I remember, that would be superseded.

AFAIK, AnonymousI18N handles the following :

* Language selection
 → Handled − that is kind of the purpose of the Universal Language
*Selector* right ? ;-)

* Language suggestion, based on « data from cookie, referal url & browser
settings »
"referal" means that AnonymousI18N can detect that your  are coming from
it.wikipedia.org, your interface should be in Italian
→ What about ULS ?

* Language “uselang” persistency, regardless of the previous
Meaning, if landing on Commons from a URL with ?uselang=fr (obviously from
templates on projects, but also from links everywhere [people like me who
always tweet/write links with a uselang ;-)]), the ?uselang=fr is set for
all outbound links, meaning language persistency.

→ ULS does not appear to do that from my test on TranslateWiki.
(Arriving from <https://translatewiki.net/?uselang=it>, interface in
Italian ; clicking a link, interface in French)

--
Jean-Frédéric