[Mediawiki-i18n] Invitation for Localisation Development Demonstration 2012-05-01 15:00 UTC

Siebrand Mazeland (WMF) smazeland at wikimedia.org
Wed May 2 12:27:23 UTC 2012

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 12:49 PM, Srikanth Lakshmanan <srik.lak at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Sorry you missed it! If you want to
>> have a look at the presentation, you can find it at
>>
>> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Localisation_team_Sprint_14_demo.pdf.
>

> Small note on the design prototype of ULS that just struck me.
>
> The personal bar is currently used by communities, to add custom items.
> Moodbar also uses it. Would the ULS be using personal-bar, in which case it
> might be a good idea to check if the screen breaks (not just in English, but
> in languages which have lengthy translations of personal-bar[1]). Also,
> would ULS be preceeding the proposed(?) redesign of personal bar?
>
> [1] https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/34681

Thanks for the feedback, Srikanth.

The current designs are not final by any means, so on exact position
and other properties I cannot reply with any certainty. Our goal as
Localisation team, is to provide anyone with a user experience that is
equal to that in the English language. This means that language, or
localisation, should not unnecessarily hinder user experience. The
flexibility of the MediaWiki software, with its gadgets, skins, and
other arbitrary visual elements pose a big challenge. I accept that
any and all eventualities cannot be foreseen for each and every
language. Inevitably, some things will pop up that we need to address
once the functionality has been developed.

I've asked the design group to expedite the creation of a design guide
for MediaWiki[1] a while ago in the Product Management team. The
current guide is mostly about shapes and colours of different possible
elements. Having guidelines for adding elements to the standard chrome
in a standard and prescribed way, may help reduce future issues. Until
then, we have to unfortunately mostly guess and hope that when and
where we add elements, they will not interfere (too much) with already
existing unknown elements.

I'm not sure if this fully satisfies as an answer to your question,
but at the moment it's the best I can provide. Maybe someone from the
design list[2] is able to provide additional input.

Cheers!

[1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Style_guide