[Mediawiki-i18n] Notes on today's i18n deployment

Niklas Laxstrom nlaxstrom at wikimedia.org
Tue May 1 18:52:09 UTC 2012

I was able to deploy TranslationNotifications [1] to
test.wikipedia.org. The good news is that it works nicely there. The
bad news is that it's not yet on mediawiki.org or meta as planned.

[1] https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/36235

Tehnical details for those who are interested:
* I added TranslationNotifications to 1.20wmf2 branch
* git pull on fenari failed due to file permission issues
** Reedy asked ops to fix it and they did
** I asked what should be done to prevent this issue from reappearing
- got no answer but I set my umask to 0002 manually.
* Documentation for updating make-wmf-branch code was out of date
(repo was moved to git).
** Submitted patch to git and updated the documentation on wikitech wiki. [2]
* I did the necessary configurations needed for a new extension and
enabled TranslationNotifications on test.wikipedia.org
** But test.wikipedia.org was still running on branch 1.20wmf1. Reedy
updated it to 1.20wmf2 when I asked why it was like that.
** I was told that scap is broken and since scap is the easiest way to
deploy new extension so that l10n cache gets updated, I decided not to
deploy beyond testwiki.

* While testing on test.wikipedia.org, noticed one small usability
issue. Siebrand provided a fix for it.
* https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/5783 is still waiting for review. We
(l10n-team) decided earlier that digest email feature is not a blocker
for deployment today.

[2] http://wikitech.wikimedia.org/index.php?title=How_to_deploy_code&diff=prev&oldid=46465

  -Niklas