[Mediawiki-i18n] translatewiki OSM translation

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason avarab at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 18:05:10 UTC 2010

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 17:54, Mitja Kleider <mitja at kleider.name> wrote:
> I did not want to add it as a new project, but wanted to add new strings
> to the existing project <http://translatewiki.net/w/i.php?title=Special%
> 3ATranslate&task=view&group=out-osm-site>

You still haven't answered what project you're working on. Are you
working on nominatim itself? In that case those strings are applicable
to being added to the nominatim namespace. If it isn't and you just
want to add a few more then just adding them anyway probably doesn't
do any harm, the strings that are there already are just from some
one-off top100 list if I recall correctly.

However if your project is separate from the OSM website then it
should have its own subproject, just like Potlatch does now.

> You mentioned SVN for synchronization. Is this the desired way to add
> strings to existing projects? Is there any place where new strings
> should be discussed in advance?

You maintain a master file like en.yml in config/locales/en.yml in the
rails_port directory. Translatewiki syncs that regularly, if there are
any new strings they're made available to translators.

They then translate them and they're commited back to the *.yml files
that aren't en.yml.

Just do `svn log
http://svn.openstreetmap.org/sites/rails_port/config/locales/' to see
how it happens.