[Mediawiki-i18n] translatewiki OSM translation

Mitja Kleider mitja at kleider.name
Wed Apr 7 19:13:23 UTC 2010

Am Mittwoch, den 07.04.2010, 18:05 +0000 schrieb Ævar Arnfjörð
Bjarmason:
> On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 17:54, Mitja Kleider <mitja at kleider.name> wrote:
> > I did not want to add it as a new project, but wanted to add new strings
> > to the existing project <http://translatewiki.net/w/i.php?title=Special%
> > 3ATranslate&task=view&group=out-osm-site>
>
> You still haven't answered what project you're working on. Are you
> working on nominatim itself?

No, it is an effort to produce human readable text from the OSM tags of
POIs and is still in a proof of concept state. It is using gettext and
my own translation, which is the same as
geocoder.search_osm_nominatim.prefix.* plus a few detail description
strings.
The POI title is in the same context as in Nominatim, like in your
example "Hotel <Name of the hotel>" meaning "The hotel <name>".
In the detailed description only a few tags are supported by now (like
telephone, fax, website). The goal is to make human readable text for as
many tags as possible. I mentioned cuisine for restaurants as an
example.

> In that case those strings are applicable
> to being added to the nominatim namespace. If it isn't and you just
> want to add a few more then just adding them anyway probably doesn't
> do any harm, the strings that are there already are just from some
> one-off top100 list if I recall correctly.

I agree. If I get requests for further prefixes, I will add them to
en.yml in the OSM SVN. This should be useful for Nominatim, too.

The detail descriptions are not available in Nominatim yet, the
OpenStreetBrowser is providing some human readable text (at least
addresses, maybe more).
I think they could be available on the OSM website as something
like /browse/{node,way,relation}/readable, but there is no rails code
for it yet.

> However if your project is separate from the OSM website then it
> should have its own subproject, just like Potlatch does now.

Okay, that would be the case at the moment. However, I think the
prefixes (like Nominatim's) and "detail names" (or however we could call
it) can be shared by many applications and we should avoid duplicate
translation effort for the same purpose.