[Mediawiki-i18n] translatewiki OSM translation

Mitja Kleider mitja at kleider.name
Wed Apr 7 17:54:55 UTC 2010

Am Mittwoch, den 07.04.2010, 17:36 +0000 schrieb Ævar Arnfjörð
Bjarmason:
> On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 17:08, Mitja Kleider <mitja at kleider.name> wrote:
> > Hi Ævar,
> >
> > I am not sure if you are the right person to contact, but I remember you
> > worked on getting the translations to translatewiki.
> >
> > I wrote some translation strings for a new OSM tool and now found out
> > that most of them are already available in the OSM tranlatewiki
> > collection.
> > I would like to use it to provide the tool in many languages, but there
> > are still some strings missing.
> >
> > Do you know how to add new strings to translatewiki?
> >
> > In detail, those are missing in comparison to my translation file
> > (translation is German):
> >
> > msgid "phone"
> > msgstr "Telefon"
> >
> > msgid "fax"
> > msgstr "Fax"
> >
> > msgid "website"
> > msgstr "Webseite"
> >
> > msgid "collection_times"
> > msgstr "Leerungszeiten"
> >
> > msgid "opening_hours"
> > msgstr "Öffnungszeiten"
> >
> > msgid "operator"
> > msgstr "Betreiber"
> >
> > Also, I do not know a good prefix for msgctxt. Maybe "poi.details."
> > would fit. The msgids are tags, the string should be used in a human
> > readable POI description. If you have any idea for a better msgctxt
> > prefix, I am fine with anything.
> >
> > I would be glad if you know how I can add those myself, I guess there
> > will be more to come, like translation for the cuisine tag and possible
> > values, maybe more.
>
> I'm cc-ing the mediawiki-i18n list which discusses Translatewiki et al.
>
> Adding a new project to translatewiki means:

I did not want to add it as a new project, but wanted to add new strings
to the existing project <http://translatewiki.net/w/i.php?title=Special%
3ATranslate&task=view&group=out-osm-site>

> I guess that by "most of them are already available" you mean you got
> them from the config/locale/*.yml files for nominatim. You should be
> aware that those may not be as useful as you think, due to the way
> they're presented in the UI they're not in the nominative case in some
> languages, for example in Icelandic we translate:
>
>     "Hotel X"
>
> as:
>
>     "Hótelið X"
>
> meaning:
>
>     "The Hotel X"
>
> Depending on the context you want to present your strings in you may
> not be able to piggy-back on these translations for that reason.

That is the right context. By most of them are already available I meant
that there is "geocoder.search_osm_nominatim.prefix.*" like here
<http://translatewiki.net/w/i.php?title=Special:Translate&task=view&language=is&group=out-osm-site&offset=500>.

You mentioned SVN for synchronization. Is this the desired way to add
strings to existing projects? Is there any place where new strings
should be discussed in advance?