[Wiki Loves Monuments] WLM photos are deleted on Commons

Yaroslav M. Blanter putevod at mccme.ru
Sat Sep 17 19:59:57 UTC 2016

On 17.09.2016 21:52, olatunde olalekan isaac wrote:
> Hey Alexander
>
> TL:DR. Please, bare in mind that Common community have policies
> regarding copyright which they will never ignore for a contest like
> this. Thus, you need not lose your cool and make personal remarks in
> accusing reviewers  of intimidating WLM participants. Such assertion
> is untrue because we are in this together. We should not pretend that
> what we are experiencing now is expected. I agree with Lodewijk that
> Wikimedia Commons community is not always easy or fun to work with but
> we just have to deal with it. There are thousands of files waiting for
> review and there are few regular users patrolling new files or
> reviewing them. If a reviewer nominate a file for deletion in a way
> you consider inappropriate, try to discuss with the user. The reviewer
> could be under stress as at the time they were reviewing the files.
> BTW, it's a red flag when username don't seem to match with copyright
> information on metadata, thus reviewer may decide to nominate such
> files for deletion per our precautionary principle. This is not
> uncommon and such actions are usually not considered destructive or
> attacks on participant. Alexander, your username is "User:Atsrlin" and
> if on your camera metadata, the author is "Merlin" for example,
> reviewer may not assume that your real name is Merlin unless you
> already state it on your user page or elsewhere because Atsrlin could
> mean something totally different in your country and may be
> unconnected with Merlin. In reality, you're Alexander  and Merlin is a
> different person who may probably come around to raise concerns about
> infringement of their copyright in the future.

In our case, the copyright holder was Vera Kalyuzhnaya, and the user was
VekaSpb, which any Russian speaker would immediately recognize as "Veka"
from Saint Petersburg, and then see that "Veka" is a likely abbreviation
from Vera Kalyuzhnaya. Just one question on a Village Pump would be
sufficient to establish this.

Cheers
Yaroslav