[Wiki Loves Monuments] WLM photos are deleted on Commons

Lily lilyofthewest.wikimedia at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 19:38:27 UTC 2016

Hi Yaroslav and others,

I'm sorry that we are going through these current events. As a WLM
organizer, I feel the pain of organizing a contest, encouraging people to
participate, but then seeing or imagining their disappointment. The one
thing that gives the most motivation to me is to see people succeed in
doing the upload, not to see them fail. From what I read at
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Deletion_requests/Files_of_User:Лавров95_2#Comment_from_the_WLM_organizers
I also see some of the difficulties that the Commons community are facing.
This is not a pleasant situation for anyone. We are all in this for helping
people share in the sum of all knowledge. At the moment, we are distracted.

We are seeing a failure of potentially more than one part of our system. As
a team of people working towards the same goal, we should investigate what
has happened from the beginning to the end, understand what has gone wrong
and where (no blaming of each other, simply understanding), and come up
with processes for fixing the broken parts. This will help us not have to
visit a similar problem again and move forward together and more
efficiently.

I will reach out to some of you involved in this discussion off-list to
start a (postmortem) discussion. In the mean time, I ask all of you to
consider the other side and treat each other with humility, trust, and
respect.

Best,
Leila

On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 12:13 PM, Yaroslav M. Blanter <putevod at mccme.ru>
wrote:

> On 14.09.2016 20:50, Marco Chiesa wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 7:17 PM, Yaroslav M. Blanter <putevod at mccme.ru>
>> wrote:
>>
>> The files have been deleted, meaning we will advise WLM participants not
>>> use Commons anymore.
>>>

>> By the way, such images would not qualify for WLM anyway, since they
>> are copyvios.
>> Cruccone

> I know. The problems are demotivation of new users and excess work for
> Commons admins (in this case, most likely, me) to undelete these images for
> transfer to the Russian Wikivoyage (and, possibly, Wikipedia).
>
> Cheers
> Yaroslav

User: LilyOfTheWest