[Wiki Loves Monuments] monuments without official list

Lodewijk lodewijk at effeietsanders.org
Wed Aug 17 09:29:18 UTC 2016

Hey Johnattan,

Typically, countries follow the official list - which will never be
perfect. In some countries this is particularly sensitive, because it
represents a specific period in the history.

There are a few approaches you could take, but none are real solutions. I
would myself totally not be in favor of just 'adding monuments to the
list'. Only in the case of a technical/clerical error, I would suggest to
do that. But this sounds more like you disagree with the government on what
the definition should be.

What they did in South Africa, if I recall correctly, was to create a
separate list, where people could make suggestions for buildings to be
recognised as monument - a list they would pass on to the government at the
end of the competition. You could even ask people to submit photos for
that, but those would - I think - be out of competition.

Best,