[Wiki Loves Monuments] connection refused when using UploadWizard

LilyOf TheWest lilyofthewest.wikimedia at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 05:05:32 UTC 2015

On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 10:34 AM, Federico Leva (Nemo) <nemowiki at gmail.com>
wrote:

> LilyOf TheWest, 24/09/2015 18:47:
>

>> 1) At some hours of the day the uploading works just fine, at some hours
>> it doesn't (and we can't figure out regularities in the hour patterns).
>> The tests are done using the same ISP, OS, and browser for consistency.
>>

> Is interface language always the same too?

Yes, we set it to EN for all the tests we did. The users who reported
issues may have had FA but I'm not sure.

>> 2) On Chrome from iOS users see this error: http://imgur.com/48kwWn2
>>

> What step of the upload wizard is this? Is it expected that the "id"
> parameter uses non-arab numbers?

This happens as soon as the users click on the icon in the tables to upload
the picture, so: in the transition between a cell in a row of a table in
fawiki and the first step in Special:UploadWizard in Commons (Upload).

I'm not sure about the possible issue with the id numbering system.

> Debugging the network is probably useful. MTR is the standard way; if the
> user really only has iOS, available software looks very ugly, but something
> like
> https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/inettools-network-diagnose/id561659975
> might be ok.

Thanks! We will do more experiments with it.

> 3) When the user uses VPN, it works (but uploading with VPN is slow and
>> they prefer not to do it.)
>>

> I assume the VPN goes through another ISP?

I'm not sure about the details of how VPNs work, but just to be clear, we
tested the VPNs using the internet provided by the same ISPs.

> Nemo

LilyOfTheWest