[Wiki Loves Monuments] ErfgoedBot status

Jean-Frédéric jeanfrederic.wiki at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 23:52:08 UTC 2015

Hi all,

Lodewijk:

> as I understand it, they should be bumped down at least one level to a
> region? Or could people help in a more structured way, by connecting the
> identifiers with the right category, somehow? What is the most intelligent
> approach in the current setup?

It depends why the bot fails to categorize the picture:

* if the file does not have a Monument template (for it, {{Monumento
italiano}}), then it needs manual attention − indeed being bumped down ;
* it the file does have a monument template, then the bot should have been
able to do something about it, but could not because of a mistake at some
point in the process. More about answering Nemo below

Nemo wrote:

> I know the Italian team is a bit confused, I don't know what we know.
> Thanks for the patience. For sure I don't understand the instructions, see
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons_talk:Monuments_database/Categorization

Thanks for your questions! I answered on the talk page and tried clarifying
the pages. Let me know if that helps.

AFAICS, User:Yiyi has specified a category for most monuments in the latest
> Wikipedia lists, e.g.
> https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progetto:Wiki_Loves_Monuments_2015/Monumenti/Basilicata
> .

That’s good. We’ll have to check whether they are being slurped correctly
in the database.

Why do we even have
>> https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:WLM2013-riga ?
>>

> Why is it strange? AFAICS all the others have a template to generate rows
> of monument lists tables. The current one is
> https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:WLM2015-riga . We use new
> templates and new lists every year because the authorised monuments vary
> every year.

Ok, here is the problem. The current design implies that one configuration
(country, project) has one row template and only one. As a result, all
monuments using WLM2014-riga and WLM2015-riga are *not* parsed. This also
explains the problems with categorisation: the bot does find the monument
in the database and thus cannot infer categories.

Looking at the WLM201X-riga templates, they appear to be perfect supersets
of one another − all the fields of 2013 are in 2014, which are themselves
in 2015. In this case, could we just unify the template?

(One may ask, « can’t the bot handle more than one row template per
country/project ». Maybe so, but someone would have to code it ; and
frankly I do not see a strong use case for it :)

--
Jean-Fred