[Wiki Loves Monuments] Moving monuments database to Wikidata

Andre Koopal andre at molens.org
Sun Jul 26 19:04:37 UTC 2015

Hi,

I see a lot of discussion about how to get the data into wikidata. That is good and needs to be done, but erfgoedbot did a lot more.

Beside the harvesting (getting the list into the database), there were scripts using the data. At least for the dutch competition, people who uploaded a picture only specified the ID. Scripts used that id to find the data of that monument and add categories like “rijksmonument in <city>” instead of just “rijksmonument”. Also if it was known from the monument database it was a windmill (for example) it would be categorised as such.

Another important one is making lists of id’s where in the lists there is no picture but there is a picture uploaded. Volunteers would then look at that list and add a picture to the list. This worked quite well for the motivation, because people made a picture, uploaded it, and a couple of days later the picture showed up in the list.

If we think about the future, we will need to think about this side as well. The first one is needed to make the pictures being able to be found and not just a bunch of pictures. The first one is doable I guess, but I fear a bit about the second one. Because the lists are not regularly  imported, you don’t know if there is a picture, so we need a way to detect this. I believe there are properties to document a picture, so the storing isn’t the problem I guess.

Regards,

André