[Wiki Loves Monuments] Moving monuments database to Wikidata

Nicolas VIGNERON vigneron.nicolas at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 16:44:49 UTC 2015

> Andy Mabbett, 26/07/2015 18:28:
>
>> 1) the name of the object may not be unique hence we may be unable to
>>> satisfy Wikidata requirements on label/description uniqueness,
>>>

>> Wikidata does not require unique names.
>>

> If so, please fix the docs. "Uniqueness for a combination of a label and a
> description is a hard constraint that must be satisfied before a change can
> be saved." https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Glossary

This doc is right but you can use aliases.

3) it must be fine to create items that contain no information other than
>>> the name;
>>>

>> No, this is not OK (and they may be deleted); but nor is it necessary.
>>

> How so? We often don't know more than the name-

Did you have an example?
I find it hard to believe, can't you at least you can say where it is (at
the minimum the country and idealy the city, the coordinates, etc.).

>>  4) it must be as easy to add coordinates to multiple items as it is with
>>> an
>>> on-wiki table;
>>>

>> Why?
>>

> Because that's the process used to add coordinates.
>

>>  6) it must be easy to publish new groups of items on the go, because the
>>> list is built gradually (and very slowly) as we get new authorisations;
>>>

>> It is.
>>

> Needs to be verified with those who maintain the list (i.e. Cristian Cenci
> and WMIT secretariat).
>

>> This is, I believe, possible. For example:
>>

>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Daniel_Mietchen/Wikidata_lists/Items_with_ORCIDs
>>
>> is built by a bot.
>>

> That's a very trivial query, on WDQ just claim[496]. The query I described
> is way more complex.

Can't Lua module deal with more complex query?

Cdlt, ~nicolas