[Wiki Loves Monuments] Moving monuments database to Wikidata

Federico Leva (Nemo) nemowiki at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 16:38:09 UTC 2015

Andy Mabbett, 26/07/2015 18:28:
>> 1) the name of the object may not be unique hence we may be unable to
>> satisfy Wikidata requirements on label/description uniqueness,
>
> Wikidata does not require unique names.

If so, please fix the docs. "Uniqueness for a combination of a label and
a description is a hard constraint that must be satisfied before a
change can be saved." https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Glossary

>> 3) it must be fine to create items that contain no information other than
>> the name;
>
> No, this is not OK (and they may be deleted); but nor is it necessary.

How so? We often don't know more than the name-

>> 4) it must be as easy to add coordinates to multiple items as it is with an
>> on-wiki table;
>
> Why?

Because that's the process used to add coordinates.

>> 6) it must be easy to publish new groups of items on the go, because the
>> list is built gradually (and very slowly) as we get new authorisations;
>
> It is.

Needs to be verified with those who maintain the list (i.e. Cristian
Cenci and WMIT secretariat).

> This is, I believe, possible. For example:
>
>     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Daniel_Mietchen/Wikidata_lists/Items_with_ORCIDs
>
> is built by a bot.

That's a very trivial query, on WDQ just claim[496]. The query I
described is way more complex.

Nemo