[Wiki Loves Monuments] WLM Participants' Survey: What can we learn from it?

Estermann Beat beat.estermann at bfh.ch
Fri Sep 19 08:59:01 UTC 2014

Hi Nemo,

The basic analyses from the past two surveys can be found here:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Wiki_Loves_Monuments_2013/Participants%27_Survey

Along with most of the data, by the way (except for data that would be problematic from a data protection perspective).

I presently don't have the time to run further analyses on these data (e.g. country comparisons) and to write a proper report on this; let alone to compare the results to data from server statistics. Therefore, I would be very glad if someone else could jump in. By the way, we thought we had found someone at Wikimania in London who would continue the work on a volunteer basis, but he has jumped off again as he has found a new job. There is a proposed analysis plan, and Jaime from the WMF Evaluation team and I are happy to provide guidance if needed. So, if anyone is interested, please let me know! (maybe it could be coupled with an individual engagement grant)

My feeling so far has been that there is only punctual interest from the side of WLM/WLE organizers in this survey; and as far as I know there haven't been any attempts to actually have a budget for the evaluation of the contests at the international level in order to set the evaluation and learning process up in a sustainable manner. This is certainly also due to the ad-hoc / last-minute culture when it comes to WLM at the international level.  - So, I'm looking forward to hearing from Sebastiaan and his thoughts about this.

Regarding the Wikimania workshop on the WLM participants' survey: it was accepted with a score of 9 out of 10, but it was allocated only 30 minutes instead of 70 minutes by the organizing team. The same happened with my other two workshop proposals which had scored slightly higher. So I eventually dropped the WLM workshop and negotiated a time increase for one of the other sessions, so we could hold at least one proper workshop.

Cheers,
Beat