[Wiki Loves Monuments] Thinking about the future

Estermann Beat beat.estermann at bfh.ch
Thu Sep 26 14:16:57 UTC 2013

Dear Lodewijk, dear all,

When reading your lines, two options spring to my mind:

1)    The movement decides as a whole which big contest will be run in which year. The objective would be to make it as big as possible, meaning that we would aim for 50+ countries. Alternating between themes as you suggest would certainly make sense.

2)    There are several thematic contests taking place every year. The decision to run a particular contest in a given year would be country-based. So, individual countries would decide whether they pause in a given year or take up another theme. Probably, these contests would be a bit smaller, maybe uniting only 10-20 countries at a time.

When choosing between the two options, there are several questions I would ask:

-       What option makes life easier for local organizers / chapters? (planning security, flexibility, managing partner relationships, getting the right lists ready at the right moment, etc.)

-       Is it easier to handle several smaller contests or one big contest at the international level (economies of scale; coordination effort both at the technical and the organizational level)?

-       How important is it to be able to say that we are running the largest photo contest worldwide?

I don't have the answers; and there are probably more relevant questions to be asked...

Best,
Beat