[Wiki Loves Monuments] Tool to add Coordinates

Jeremy Baron jeremy at tuxmachine.com
Mon Sep 16 03:55:36 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 8:14 PM, Jeremy Baron <jeremy at tuxmachine.com> wrote:
> tl;dr: That tool needs to be disabled immediately. It may be possible
> to "fix" it to give very clear (and accurate!) warnings about the
> impending sharing of their data before the sharing takes place but
> IMHO making sure the wording clear and accurate will take too long
> (i.e. more than 5 mins) and we should first disable the tool
> completely while/if that wording is developed.

I went looking for people to disable it on IRC this evening (only
waited that long because I was AFK a lot recently) and the person that
actually looked into it (happened to be a global sysop) so far was not
comfortable doing this because there are "lots of local admins there".
I'm not sure if there's a policy on whether or not to wait for locals
when reverting a privacy policy violation (if you would have waited
for less urgent changes) but just in case I commented in a few local
places anyway.

* https://hy.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=MediaWiki_%D6%84%D5%B6%D5%B6%D5%A1%D6%80%D5%AF%D5%B8%D6%82%D5%B4:Common.js&diff=prev&oldid=1469070
* https://hy.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=%D5%84%D5%A1%D5%BD%D5%B6%D5%A1%D5%AF%D6%81%D5%AB_%D6%84%D5%B6%D5%B6%D5%A1%D6%80%D5%AF%D5%B8%D6%82%D5%B4:Xelgen&diff=prev&oldid=1469083

btw, another issue to address is the footer's "Privacy policy" link on
that site leads to a local redlink.

I guess we'll get legal to do this themselves when they get in
tomorrow morning if no one else does before then.

-Jeremy