[Wiki Loves Monuments] drop off in submissions, banner

Pierre-Selim pierre-selim at huard.info
Wed Sep 11 16:58:18 UTC 2013

We have been noticing a drop off new participant and participation in
France too, however it's pretty hard to understand the factor <
http://commonists.org/db/wlm/stats.html>. As said by Samat it might be due
to the poor weather during the last week-end.

It was suggested to change the wording of the banner, to attract new users.

2013/9/11 Samat <samat78 at gmail.com>

> I think, beside many other factors, the weather is also one (which is
> outside of our control).
> In the last few days it was really cool and rainy in Hungary and its
> surrounds, and in countries where there was no previous (before September)
> campaign for the competition only a suddenly announcement few days ago
> (like in Hungary),  people can't or don't want to go out taking pictures.
>
> Samat
>

> On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 6:41 PM, Peter Ekman <pdekman at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I too have noticed a drop off in photos submitted in the last few days.
>>  It's fairly important to determine what caused the drop off if we can.  It
>> might be something totally outside of our control, e.g. the situation in
>> Syria, but might be something like a change in banner display, which we do
>> have some control over. Did the drop happen in most countries? We don't
>> have full control over all Wikimedia banners - we do have to share the
>> space with others, but perhaps they might be willing to delay some of their
>> displays if we ask nicely.
>>
>> I do agree that changing the banner from time-to-time can help. I don't
>> agree that a banner of ""Participate in the world's largest
>> photo-contest and help Wikipedia," would help any.  The imperative verb
>> "Participate" is very weak, and is not natural to American English
>> speakers.  It suggests a high school home economics teacher telling us that
>> we have to bring cookies to the annual bake-off.  Something more active is
>> definitely needed, something along the line (but not exactly) of a high
>> school football coach saying "Go out there and kick some butt!"  That would
>> definitely get some attention as a banner, but not the exact type of
>> attention we want.  A teaser ad might work however, e.g. "About your photos
>> on Wikipedia .... (smaller type) upload them to Wiki Loves Monuments"
>>
>> "Snap" might be a verb we want to use.  It gives an idea of the action
>> that we want people to take (snap a snapshot), unlike "participate."  So
>> perhaps "Snap a historic site, Wiki Loves Monuments" It could wake people
>> up. Or maybe "Snap a snapshot for Wikipedia".  As a noun "It's a snap, Wiki
>> Loves Monuments"
>>
>> I don't think these ideas are good enough yet for an actual banner, but I
>> think that folks should brain-storm this and come up with new ideas.
>>  Straight informative banners can sound bureaucratic or just boring.
>>  Different languages or dialects should be considered separately, as
>> translations are really tricky, e.g. "It's a snap" might mean something
>> entirely different in British English
>>
>> Pete
>> User:Smallbones

Pierre-Selim