[Wiki Loves Monuments] drop off in submissions, banner

Matthew Roth mroth at wikimedia.org
Wed Sep 11 16:53:06 UTC 2013

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 9:45 AM, User Mono <usermono at outlook.com> wrote:

> We are sharing with the privacy policy right now. There's probably no
> flexibility there - the WMF really likes its silly banners. Like anyone in
> the public actually *cares* about our privacy policy - Facebook's is the
> only one that matters to anyone.

Not to be too contrarian, but this is arguably exactly why the Privacy
Policy discussion is important. We're one of the few large web properties
where users care about it -- over 40,000 words of
discussion<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Privacy_policy>so far
and we're only a week into the 4 month review.

:)

The Privacy Policy banners will be coming down in 4 days.

> I too have noticed a drop off in photos submitted in the last few days.
>  It's fairly important to determine what caused the drop off if we can.  It
> might be something totally outside of our control,

I don't know if my personal story means anything, but last year I was so
excited about the novelty of the competition, I took and uploaded a lot
more photos than I did this year. Some of the buzz wore off. I still
haven't uploaded a single photo this year, though I have a few hundred that
need to get up before the contest finishes. I think there still might be a
big rush at the end that will compensate for the current lull.

> e.g. the situation in Syria, but might be something like a change in
> banner display, which we do have some control over. Did the drop happen in
> most countries? We don't have full control over all Wikimedia banners - we
> do have to share the space with others, but perhaps they might be willing
> to delay some of their displays if we ask nicely.
>
> I do agree that changing the banner from time-to-time can help. I don't
> agree that a banner of ""Participate in the world's largest photo-contest
> and help Wikipedia," would help any.  The imperative verb "Participate"
> is very weak, and is not natural to American English speakers.  It suggests
> a high school home economics teacher telling us that we have to bring
> cookies to the annual bake-off.  Something more active is definitely
> needed, something along the line (but not exactly) of a high school
> football coach saying "Go out there and kick some butt!"  That would
> definitely get some attention as a banner, but not the exact type of
> attention we want.  A teaser ad might work however, e.g. "About your photos
> on Wikipedia .... (smaller type) upload them to Wiki Loves Monuments"
>
> "Snap" might be a verb we want to use.  It gives an idea of the action
> that we want people to take (snap a snapshot), unlike "participate."  So
> perhaps "Snap a historic site, Wiki Loves Monuments" It could wake people
> up. Or maybe "Snap a snapshot for Wikipedia".  As a noun "It's a snap, Wiki
> Loves Monuments"
>
> I don't think these ideas are good enough yet for an actual banner, but I
> think that folks should brain-storm this and come up with new ideas.
>  Straight informative banners can sound bureaucratic or just boring.
>  Different languages or dialects should be considered separately, as
> translations are really tricky, e.g. "It's a snap" might mean something
> entirely different in British English
>
> Pete
> User:Smallbones

Matthew Roth