[Wiki Loves Monuments] Metro "World's largest"

Andrew Gray andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk
Wed Sep 4 19:04:21 UTC 2013

I think we could turn this to our benefit - the Metro papers are always
looking for relatively light content with pretty colour pictures, which is
why they're running this contest.

If we contact them and offer an interesting news story about the world's
*other* largest photo contest, complete with lots of images either from
this year or last year, they might well report on it fairly widely, as it
gives them the opportunity to publicise their own whilst also filling some
space...

A.

On 4 September 2013 16:41, Peter Ekman <pdekman at gmail.com> wrote:

> My first reaction to the Metro contest is that they have an awesome "jury
> tool".  Check it out - maybe we could try for something like this for next
> year.
>
> 2nd - They have a claim to be the "World's largest" however tentative, and
> we have a better claim.  We could ask them to cease and desist making the
> claim, but they would likely just ignore us, and there's nothing we could
> do about it.
>
> A possibility would be some sort of cooperation for next year with Metro,
> i.e. their very large readership could contribute to WLM.  With our limited
> (but extensive) lists, that would likely be very difficult for them, but
> maybe with a different competition on our part something could be done,
> e.g. "Wiki Loves Your Hometown"
>
> Pete
> User:Smallbones
>
> On 4 September 2013 09:19, Federico Leva (Nemo) <nemowiki at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Does someone know this challenge? I saw it quite prominently advertised
> on
> > Metro this Monday.
> >         «The Metro Photo Challenge, the world’s biggest photography
> > competition, officially launched on Tuesday», «2013 will mark the
> seventh
> > Metro Photo Challenge [...] we’re going to ask you to capture more of a
> > process than a thing [...] sensing the world around you».
> > <http://www.metro.us/newyork/**news/2013/09/02/what-inspires-**
> > your-senses-enter-the-2013-**metro-photo-challenge/<
> http://www.metro.us/newyork/news/2013/09/02/what-inspires-your-senses-enter-the-2013-metro-photo-challenge/

- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk