[Wiki Loves Monuments] Idea for WLM app's afterlife

Philip Chang pchang at wikimedia.org
Fri Sep 28 15:41:22 UTC 2012

Great input, thanks Lodewijk and Tomasz.

Your thoughts echo the thinking of the mobile team in terms of a broader
vision of mobile contributions. The difficulty is in biting off smaller
pieces that can realistically be achieved.

Making articles that are geo-tagged available is a current initiative and
requires new infrastructure. We currently use Geonames in the WIkipedia
apps, which is an external service and limited in usage volume. We want to
add the nearby function to the mobile site (which has much higher traffic
than the apps) and that is what is driving this new infrastructure
currently.

Then there is the idea of adding geo tags to articles. What a great usage
of mobile! Photos are an easy way to do this (killing two birds with one
stone), so your thinking is right in line with what we are hoping to do.
But there are some issues around submitting geo coordinates, whether
automatically or not, that have to be worked through.

Back to Lodewijk's idea of articles and monuments, we unfortunately have an
issue with monuments, simply because the database is not maintainable.
However, I have wondered about accessing monuments through the Wikipedia
pages that list them.

So yes, there are a number of next steps to be pursued. I will have to
defer to Howie and Maryana to pick this up, as today is technically my last
day. But as I said, I will be available as a volunteer.

Phil

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 8:20 AM, Tomasz W. Kozłowski
<odder.wiki at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Philip,
> this wouldn't be very related to your question, but I've been recently
> pointed to the idea of user notifications; e.g. when user passes by a
> building (for instance a monument) for which we have geocoordinates
> but no picture, s/he might receive a notification from the app to take
> a photo.
>
> This was originally thought as a feature for the WLM app, but it might
> be useful for another purposes, too (for instance, for buildings which
> are not monuments, etc.).
>
> --
> Tomasz W. Kozłowski
> a.k.a. [[user:odder]]