[Wiki Loves Monuments] "permanently" removing buttons

Peter Ekman pdekman at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 14:52:12 UTC 2012

There was a question of permanently removing the upload buttons on
English Wikipedia.  Actually I think it is just a matter for the US
WP:NRHP, and may not go beyond that.

I don't think it is impossible to keep the buttons, and I think the
"placeholder RfC" was quite badly started and really doesn't apply
well to this question. More somebody blowing off steam than anything
else. Good editors do that sometime and there may be an underlying
issue that we didn't have time to deal with properly a week before the
contest started.

On the other hand, as a permanent fixture, I don't like the buttons
where they currently are. For the contest they were fine, but they
attract too much attention away from the list's actual content.
Perhaps they might be moved to the description column and made
smaller.

In any case, a fairly long discussion will likely be needed at
WT:NRHP, and removing the buttons, at least temporarily, will be a
show of good faith.  None of this necessarily applies to non-NRHP
lists on English Wikipedia.

Pete
User:Smallbones