[Wiki Loves Monuments] open source software for running the competition

Tomasz Ganicz polimerek at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 10:06:50 UTC 2012

2012/9/14 Mike  Dupont <jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com>:
> Well, For me the goal is to collect media about the area under a
> commons license. I am not interested in teaching people to read,
> because most of them dont. there is just too much text on commons for
> people to read, they dont understand or have the patience.  It is not
> the commons suck, it is just at too high a level for the users that I
> am dealing with. We have tried to get translators, it is just too much
> for them.

I remember there was an Isrealis project of collecting old photos and
then upload them to Commons via local server. Maybe they can share
some code with you?

By the way - such a server side collecting photo software would be
usefull not only for WLM but also in many other cases - for example
during cooperation with GLAM Institutions.

Maybe you will find interesting a Vicunia uploader:

https://github.com/yarl/vicuna

It is probably still too sophisticated - but it let collect photos and
add metadata off-line, save metadata as an xml file in a folder
together with pictures and then upload files later.

--
Tomek "Polimerek" Ganicz
http://www.ganicz.pl/poli/