[Wiki Loves Monuments] WLM banner problem

Tomasz Ganicz polimerek at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 11:04:15 UTC 2012

2012/9/5 Tomasz W. Kozłowski <odder.wiki at gmail.com>:
> On 5 September 2012 12:11, Tomasz Ganicz <polimerek at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Lusitana has just granted the right to use her work in relation to the
>> contest WLM.without credits, so it is actually OK.
>
> She did agree not to mention her name when the logo is used in
> relation to the contest (and she did that in August 2011), but still
> -- the licence chosen makes it clear that it is required to place a
> link to its text whenever the image is used.
>
> We cannot do that due to space limitation (and I am sure that a link
> in the "alt" or "title" attribution wouldn't count), so we are still
> violating its terms. Susana would probably need to release the logo
> into the public domain (or we'll need to change the banners so they
> link to the licence).

Well - not really. This is overinterpetation. She is not bound by the
licence, as she is still a copyright owner,  so she can release her
work in any way she wishes to the selected people or for selected use.
This is just like a kind of dual-licening. Maybe her statement on
picture description could more formal, but legally it is actually OK.
My lawyer English is rather poor - but her statement could be like
this:

"I hereby grant to use my work without any credits to anyone and for
any purpose as long as it is directly linked with Wiki Loves Monument
Contest all over the world. In all other cases you must follow the
terms of CC-BY-SA 3.0".

--
Tomek "Polimerek" Ganicz
http://www.ganicz.pl/poli/