[Wiki Loves Monuments] Deleted entries

Yaroslav M. Blanter putevod at mccme.ru
Wed Sep 5 08:08:31 UTC 2012

On Wed, 5 Sep 2012 04:47:36 +0300, Paul Selitskas wrote:

> It's wrong! Damn it's wrong!
>
> Commons administrators can't delete the files based on these
> criteria,
> at least files for WLM. I contacted one of participants with a
> request
> to prove that she was the author of the photo, because I had found
> the
> one in a Belarusian photographer site (and the login there wasn't the
> same as in Commons). She edited her profile on that site to prove
> that
> she is the actual author. This is the story.
>
> I know there are obvious situation but administrators at Commons
> should think twice before they delete the next photo in the row.

Another issue is freedom of panorama. For Russia, I monitor (and
categorize) all the images submitted, since the organizers did not show
any interest in these activities so far. The website (at least last time
I checked) did not explain the notion of FoP but listed non-free sites
as well. Unsurprisingly, pictures of non-free buildings are sometimes
submitted, there were about a dozen so far (and a couple more I was not
sure about). I nominate for AfD those pictures which are clearly
non-free, but for every uploader (all of them were newbies) I first go
to the talk page, thank them for submissions and explain what is going
on, and also recommend to contact me in case of doubts or problems. So
far, one uploader was actually back on my talk page with an unrelated
question, so that it seems to work.

Cheers
Yaroslav