[Wiki Loves Monuments] Deleted entries

Roel Balingit roel.balingit at wikimedia.org.ph
Wed Sep 5 02:35:33 UTC 2012

I had contacted the Commons admin who deleted the three files, and I hope
he/she responds quickly, I find it arbitrarily done. I may be wrong, but I
think it needs further consideration since watermarks may reflect the
user's real name which may be totally different from his user account name.

Roel
Wiki Loves Monuments Philippines

On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 9:47 AM, Paul Selitskas <p.selitskas at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 4:42 AM, Roel Balingit
> <roel.balingit at wikimedia.org.ph> wrote:
> > I have a question, for sometime I was wondering why the Philippines has a
> > discrepancy on the number on entries and the number of pictures actually
> > showing up. Until I stumbled upon this:
> >
> http://toolserver.org/~superzerocool/wlm/usuario.php?pais=philippines&usuario=Greedyplus
> >
> > 3 of the user's entries were deleted based on:
> >
> > EXIF name not the same as uploader
> >  Copyright in watermark is not the uploader name
> > Watermark suggest copyright - not same name as uploader
> >
> > I would understand that the user account may not actually reflect the
> name
> > used on the watermarks but this alone would be discouraging for a
> > participant.
> >

> > --
> >
> > ROEL BALINGIT
> > Treasurer
> > WIKIMEDIA PHILIPPINES
> > G/F Gervacia Center, 152 Amorsolo Street, Legaspi Village, 1229 Makati
> City
> > T: +63-2-8123277  | F: +63-2-8127177 | M: +63-917-8807635
> > W: www.wikimedia.org.ph | E: roel.balingit at wikimedia.org.ph

> It's wrong! Damn it's wrong!
>
> Commons administrators can't delete the files based on these criteria,
> at least files for WLM. I contacted one of participants with a request
> to prove that she was the author of the photo, because I had found the
> one in a Belarusian photographer site (and the login there wasn't the
> same as in Commons). She edited her profile on that site to prove that
> she is the actual author. This is the story.
>
> I know there are obvious situation but administrators at Commons
> should think twice before they delete the next photo in the row.
>
> --
> З павагай,
> Павел Селіцкас/Paul Selitskas
> Wizardist @ Wikimedia projects