[Wiki Loves Monuments] WLM banner problem

Matthew Roth mroth at wikimedia.org
Tue Sep 4 23:27:46 UTC 2012

Yeah, you need a Uniform Reference Indicator (URI) for every use of a CC-BY
photo. Look at sections 4a, 4b, and 4c here:
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/legalcode

Every day news outlets and blogs and most everyone online violates this and
it's not enforced by anyone (Creative Commons or otherwise), but agreed we
should be a model on this as we are one of the larger free license image
repositories out there.

Some discussion of the matter here in relation to Facebook:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Legal_and_Community_Advocacy/CC-BY-SA_on_Facebook

-Matthew

On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 4:14 PM, Paul Selitskas <p.selitskas at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi everyone.
>
> Is it necessary to provide attribution and license text URL after
> every use of CC image? We can make a page 'Copyrights' on
> wikilovesmonuments.org where every thing will be attributed. I mean
> the banner stuff, website stuff, etc. Anyway, we'd have to link to
> this page in the banner or what...
>
> On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 2:04 AM, Tomasz W. Kozłowski
> <odder.wiki at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Platonides and Pete,
> > in any case, we cannot use an image licenced under a Creative Commons
> > licence (which disqualifies almost all pictures from Wiki Loves
> > Monuments), as they all require an attribution (the name or pseudonym
> > of the author/copyright holder) and a URL to the licence text (not the
> > deed!).
> >
> > (Please also note that Susana specifically mentioned she does not need
> > to be attributed to when the WLM logo is used in relation to the
> > contest; however, the licence still requires a working URL to its
> > text, so we are violating its requirements here, too.)
> >
> > I agree that we (the Wikimedia community) should set an example in the
> > usage of freely licenced files, so I am thinking as what we should do
> > here.
> >
> > We have two options: (1) remove the image created by Saibo from the
> > banners (but we should then also remove the WLM logo) or (2) add
> > working links to the images in the banners, and possibly also protect
> > their description pages; this would, however, mean that we'll need to
> > rebuild the templates so the links work for the files as well as for
> > the websites; to do that, we could only use the text as the link.
> >

> > Tomasz

> З павагай,
> Павел Селіцкас/Paul Selitskas
> Wizardist @ Wikimedia projects