[Wiki Loves Monuments] Reuploading

Jon Robson jdlrobson at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 19:01:58 UTC 2012

It's worth pointing out that one potential way of using the WLM mobile
app [1] is that a user could upload a placeholder photo with their
camera of a monument to keep track of monuments visited and then
replace it with a high quality camera image when they return home to
their desktop computer.

The benefit here being they can remember which monuments their photos
relate to and the app will take care of the template for them.

Would these users be eligible for the competition?

[1] https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.wikipedia.wlm
.
On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 1:26 PM, Platonides <platonides at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 03/09/12 16:45, Paul Selitskas wrote:
>> One of Belarusian contestants addressed me a mail with a question: may
>> they reupload the same photo with a better quality and what
>> consequences will it have concerning WLM.
>>
>> So, may the participant replace the file uploaded for WLM with the
>> same file of better quality? Will the new file be treated the same as
>> if it was uploaded at the first place?
>>
>> Besides this, I have a question of my own. Let's say, someone
>> submitted a photo for the contest. Then a random Wikimedian uses it in
>> an article. Then he wants to fix it (colors, perspective, whatever)
>> and actually he does it by replacing the original file with a new
>> fixed version of it. What next? Should the jury examine the original
>> version, or the fixed one? If the photo wins, who takes the prize? And
>> so on.
>
> This was also raised last year. It was mentioned that freeing a bigger
> version of an existing file should not qualify. Your may decide to do
> otherwise, of course, but I think it is bet not to, as it would also
> make harder to create the lists of participating monuments if countries
> had different rules on what is a new upload.
>
> If the uploader sends a better version of another picture uploaded in
> WLM, I consider this a valid submission by the author. Quite likely,
> also, consider for instance someone that uploads the image with a
> watermark, then he gets notified that there should be no watermarks and
> he reuploads the unwatermarked file.
>
> Another sample, Indafotó (used last year for most of WLM-HU) lowscales
> the images to 1600 pixels. Samat contacted the users, which sent him the
> originals and he reuploaded them. IMHO the submission of the bigger
> image is perfectly valid.
>
> When someone else fixes the image, that's a different matter. I wouldn't
> plainly disqualify them if someone eg. fixes the watermark from an
> image, just like we may add the monument id of some submissions (which
> would otherwise be uneligible). However, if such image was in the last
> round, I would do note it to the jury, which should probably take it
> into account negatively (but even then the photo might still
> astounishing and win anyway).
>
> Regards

Jon Robson
http://jonrobson.me.uk