[Wiki Loves Monuments] discussion on blog about WLM and free licensing

Platonides platonides at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 21:37:41 UTC 2012

On 02/09/12 21:28, Yaroslav M. Blanter wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Sep 2012 12:17:28 -0700, Matthew Roth wrote:
>> Interesting thread here, if anyone wants to read or contribute. I saw
>> on Piwik that nearly 200 folks come over to the US site from the
>> review and stumbled upon this.
>>
>> http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/08/30/wikipedia-launches-historic-monuments-photo-contest-to-expand-commons#comments
>>
>> [1]
>>

> An interesting idea about combining efforts of volunteers from smaller
> countries which by themselves would never have a jury - but probably
> impossible to realize.
>
> Cheers
> Yaroslav

If they only need people for the jury, it may be workable. There are
several countries with jury members from a different one. It's a nice
way to share the human resources. They are also clearly neutral on which
photo monument is the best, while local members could be accused of a
bias for their region. That said, I don't think a country would really
like a jury composed exclusively of foreign people.
If noone on the jury can read the local language, that is also likely to
be a problem when evaulating them.