[Wiki Loves Monuments] Why deadlines exist

Platonides platonides at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 21:10:23 UTC 2012

On 05/10/12 20:46, Cristian Consonni wrote:
> 2012/10/5 Platonides <platonides at gmail.com>:
>> We should clarify the "deadline rules" next year, and make clear that
>> there will be a bot with an axe for any image whose upload wasn't
>> finished before midnight.
>
> (LoL, bots with axes)
>
> I like:
> * the idea of clarifying rules
> * the idea of having a "hurry up" template
> * very much like the idea of adding a template instead of removing
> one. We did that for the monuments which where not in our list.

No problem in changing the template instead of removing it.

> I say this because AFAIK
> the standard, at least in Italy, in contests where some transfer of
> documents is involved (through postal service) the deadline is placed
> on the sending date (and precisely, the postmark "certifies" the date
> of sending).

That's sometimes done, but in other cases, the contest state that
«entries must be received by $DAY», and it is up to the participant to
ensure how to make it arrive (check the delay of the different postal
services, if he's late and should pay an extra fee to have it arrive the
next day, etc.).

> About people which started uploading an image before the end of the
> contest but finishing after midnight, if there is a simple (and only
> if it simple enough!) way to understand if this is the case for a
> given picture I think we should allow them.

You can in some cases have an idea on when it began being uploaded, but
it's not completely reliable.

Another problem is what we consider "started uploading". The file which
was in transfer at that time? The full image set? What happens when a
user was uploading with commonist a group of 4.500 images? We can't
accept thousands of images which arrived to commons later than the
deadline just because a few hundreds were uploaded some days before!