[Wiki Loves Monuments] Long term

Ynhockey ynhockey at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 23:14:15 UTC 2012

The sustainability of the project in the long term really depends on the
country, what's been done so far, and other factors.

I can see why in the Netherlands you might feel that you almost exhausted
the options, but this is not the case for other countries, because:
1) Many countries didn't participate this year, including quite a few with
active communities and/or chapters, including: Australia, Bangladesh,
Finland, Hong Kong and Macau, Hungary, Indonesia, Portugal, Taiwan, UK and
Venezuela.
2) For many countries the whole issue of monuments is new, maybe because
the government doesn't pay too much attention to it and there are no
well-defined lists, maybe because there is no awareness in the public, etc.
Examples include Israel and Ghana (correct me if I'm wrong).
3) Many countries simply can't realize their potential because of lack of
volunteering organizers, or geographic size, or other reasons. The biggest
example in the United States where at the current pace the competition can
be held for hundreds more years (this is a compliment btw, not criticism).
On the flip side, countries not facing this problem, e.g. Germany and
Netherlands, can probably identify many monuments in their
tens-of-thousands-long-lists that are underrepresented, and put more effort
into getting people to photograph those, e.g. by organizing free trips to
underrepresented cities, etc.
4) We really have to look at how many of the pictures we get are actually
good (usually a very small percentage, for example in Israel 219 pictures
out of over 6,000 passed the screening process) and do two things with
that, which can extend the life of the competition for a long time to come:
we can encourage the photographers who submitted the best pictures to
participate, for example by giving them better equipment (for chapters that
have access to it, or through partnerships with photography schools, etc.)
on the condition that they submit photos. On the flip side, consider
monuments that have many pictures but no good ones as underrepresented and
steer participants to those monuments.

Having said all of the above however, the question we should ask is whether
there is no better of the extraordinary effort requires by all of our
volunteers to organize this competition. I'm sure that for some countries
the answer is yes, there are better ways to spend this time. However, the
answer is rarely clear-cut and each country needs to consider all the
options.

—Ynhockey.