[Wiki Loves Monuments] Long term - Philippines

Yaroslav M. Blanter putevod at mccme.ru
Mon Nov 5 17:21:23 UTC 2012

On Mon, 5 Nov 2012 12:05:27 -0500, Peter Ekman wrote:
> I've finished putting in everything I want to say about an adjustment
> to our long-term goals and direction at
>
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Wiki_Loves_Monuments_2012/Feedback#Proposal_for_next_year.2Fpermanent_organization
> and will just note that this isn't a major proposed change, just a
> suggestion of how we can look to the future and start making some
> fairly small (but long-lasting) changes now.
>
> Roel Balingit's note from WLMPH (below) leads me to one example of
> how
> the proposed changes might work.  They got an expression of interest
> from Natural Wonders Foundation (Philippines) to start a project
> similar to WLM.
>
> If we had a more permanent, more flexible organization, they could be
> referred to a (new) page on what is required to start such a project.
> It would likely include things like a
> *list of sites
> *connection with a Wikiproject or chapter
> *jury process recommendations
> *recommendations for prizes
>
> and they'd see what would likely be needed for the WLM-type project.
> They might come back with "here's our list, with coordinates.
> Wikiproject Philippines could likely coordinate.  We're willing to
> provide jurors and $xxx in prizes."  At that point the Philippines
> folks, would be in a much better position to decide whether they
> wanted to go forward, and know the things that they would have to do
> and whether they have the resources, especially manpower, to do it.
> For example they might go back  to the Natural Wonders people and say
> "we wouldn't be able to do it for the whole country, but we could for
> xxx region, and then maybe next year ...."
>
> All the best,
> Pete Ekman
> User:Smallbones

This is also exactly my point: Not discussing now whether this would be
in-scope (I am advocating heritage, but there could be other opinions),
if we have such a meta-project, which has good relations with en.wp
projects on one side, and WLM Philippines on the other side, and also
with users who are not experts in Philippines nor in natural heritage,
but would be interested in participating in a drive - this could
considerable simplify things.

Cheers
Yaroslav