[Wiki Loves Monuments] Long Term - something a bit different

Tomasz Ganicz polimerek at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 16:26:13 UTC 2012

2012/11/4 Lodewijk <lodewijk at effeietsanders.org>:

> The thought I definitely do like is the idea to have multiple contests. I
> don't think we should immediately run these internationally though, but
> rather try them out nationally, and build from that - similarly as we did
> with Wiki Loves Monuments. I would suggest though to move a bit away from
> the buildings and make it clearly distinct. Keep the success factors in mind
> though (easy access, fun, helping Wikipedia etc.).

Yes.. the focusing on the specific goal is IMHO quite important -
otherwise people can go and photograph everything and it might be
deleted from Commons as out of scope. I guess it should be a well
defined objects which are for sure encyclopedic and anyone can safely
photograph. The best thing would be to check what is missing in
Commons and then make a contest about photographing these specific
objects. For example - I can imagine photographing railway stations,
mountains, rivers, bridges, various natural species etc. Or for
example - at least in Polish Wikipedia - there is a "photo wishlist" -
so the contest might be based on this list - the winner is the person
who uploaded the highest number of photos from the wishilist...

--
Tomek "Polimerek" Ganicz
http://www.ganicz.pl/poli/