[Wiki Loves Monuments] Long Term - something a bit different

Lodewijk lodewijk at effeietsanders.org
Sun Nov 4 15:59:07 UTC 2012

Hi Pete,

that's an interesting way to look at things! I think it would be helpful if
you bring this to the evaluation table as seperate ideas (the combination
makes it harder to grasp), but some comments from my perspective (and not
necessarily the Truth):

* I don't agree that the yearly cycle (it's not a one-month thing as we all
know - it takes several months to prepare the list, which is just another
phase in the cycle) is a weakness - I actually see it as a strength. It
allows volunteers to commit for a limited period of time and still
accomplish a lot in real life. That also means you get in touch with a new
group of volunteers who you will otherwise not see become active in
chapters.
* I don't agree the emphasis is on bigness. I know that this has been used
in PR, and we used it too often perhaps in our messaging, but our emphasis
is on getting more content and people for Wikipedia.
* I don't agree that getting the monument lists for Wikipedia (including
all its details) is not a goal of the WMF. While the topic may not be a
priority, facilitating volunteers to gather and improve on content (which
the list creation is), is one of the goals. Not that it matters whether it
is a WMF goal or not :) (it is mostly a chapter and volunteer run program)
* You suggest that we should morph WLM into a Wiki Loves Everything. I
personally believe (and we explained this several times in our
presentations) that the focus is one of the key success factors. It makes
it more tangible for participants, and allows outreach in groups of
potential volunteers we otherwise wouldn't reach. It wouldn't hurt to have
multiple contests ongoing at the same time though!

I'm curious why you think there is a "lack of real success". Perhaps you
can elaborate on that on the feedback page.

The thought I definitely do like is the idea to have multiple contests. I
don't think we should immediately run these internationally though, but
rather try them out nationally, and build from that - similarly as we did
with Wiki Loves Monuments. I would suggest though to move a bit away from
the buildings and make it clearly distinct. Keep the success factors in
mind though (easy access, fun, helping Wikipedia etc.).

Best,
Lodewijk