[Wiki Loves Monuments] WikiLovesMonuments Public Art

Peter Ekman pdekman at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 13:14:02 UTC 2012

Photographing Public art in the US has some special problems (though
other areas may have their own special problems!)
1. is copyright protection, but see
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Public_art_and_copyrights_in_the_US
which is quite helpful
2. is getting a list of what is considered "public art."
The Smithsonian Institution maintains a list of art known as SIRIS and
a sub-list SOS (Save our Sculpture) and it is fairly easy to determine
what is outside.  BUT, it can include almost anything that might be
possibly considered sculpture - e.g. 10 little knick-knacks carved on
the front of a small church, or several dozen individual copies of one
commercially sold war memorial.  Also good addresses and updated info
can be rare and coordinates are non-existant.  In short very messy and
too large.

But please keep in contact with me, or maybe User:Sarah Steirch or
User:Slowking4 about the project and the May photoshoot.

Peter Ekman
User:Smallbones