[Wiki Loves Monuments] Unused image and commonscat template on it.wiki

Cristian Consonni kikkocristian at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 19:53:50 UTC 2012

2012/12/29 Maarten Dammers <maarten at mdammers.nl>:
> Are you talking about me? It's quite disrespectful to misspell someone's
> name.

Yes, sorry. I didn't mean to be disrespectful. I mistyped.

>> {{Commonscat|Cultural heritage monuments in
>> Lombardy|etichetta=Patrimonio culturale in Lombardia}} (see the
>> Lombardy list page[1]).
>>
>> but the template is deprecated[2] on it.wiki, is maintained for
>> compatibily  (it may be bot-substituted).  Also, if you look at the
>> page[3] the second parameter is ignored (so the compatibility is not
>> complete).
>
> That's an easy fix. Just pass along the parameter to the other template.

Yes, I understand that it's a problem that could be easily fixed, and
I have asked for a change of the template, which is protected since it
is deprecated, to solve the problem, but as I said in a previous
e-mail  the discussion[*] on it.wiki stalled. Very shortly, my request
to change the template was rejected because the template is
deprecated.

>> The template in use on it.wiki is {{interprogetto}}[4].
>
> That's incompatible with the bots at the moment. You can change it to the
> other template, but that means you loose the functionality. I suggest you
> file a bug to get it implemented. I don't plan on doing it, but you might be
> lucky and someone else implements it. Probably the hardest part is to build
> an overview of these multivalue templates and the fields these templates are
> using.

Yes, I also know that (and you already told me, I think on IRC, that
you were not going to implement support for {{interprogetto}} or any
templates other than {{commoncat}}), I also understand that using
different templates on different wikis will add a big overhead to the
process with very little benefit, and myself I would better use
commonscat everywhere, the main problem on it.wiki being  the fact
that {{commonscat}} is deprecated.

And yes again, as you said probably the best thing to do is to prepare
a list of these templates and see where they are used, to see how many
wikis will benefit from such a modification before implementing it. In
the discussion it.wiki it was pointed out that {{commonscat}} is
deprecated also on fr.wiki[+] and on en.wiki is a redirect to
{{Commons category}}[°].

That said, Maarten, I didn't want to sound harsh in my previous email,
the templates you added to the lists were indeed a solution (and if I
have not thanked you for that, then I have forgotten to do so)
although it is not a definitive solution for it.wiki since the
deprecation of the template (and also the bug with the parameter).

I hope this is clearer than the previous email.

Ciao,

Cristian

[*]  (in italian)
https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discussioni_progetto:Coordinamento/Template#reimplementare_.7B.7BCommonscat.7D.7D_come_in_en.wiki_per_Wiki_Loves_Monuments