[Wiki Loves Monuments] Commons:Lists of European Monuments

Kilian Kluge kilian at k-kluge.de
Sat May 28 20:50:00 UTC 2011

Hi there everybody,

We discussed the topic in our IRC meeting on Saturday and now I just created
the page "Lists of European Monuments" on Commons (
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Lists_of_European_Monuments). It's
supposed to serve as a starting point when researching monuments, especially
if you're not familiar with a country's subdivisions and/or language.

We won't create actual lists of monuments on Commons but rather link to the
existing ones on the local Wikipedias. We could also think about linking to
the corresponding categories as well, maybe even having a bot that runs
statistics on the monuments categories and puts the results in a
table/template (e.g. a column for "Number of unidentified monuments").
Endless possibilities...

But right now the most important thing is to get the lists up there and to
put them in a logical structure. For Portugal this was quite easy, for
Germany it's going to be tough...

For all the other countries, someone has to volunteer to create the
respective page and to translate the information on the main page and
eventually all the other pages. The main language should be english, the
second one listed the language of the country the page is for and then
alphabetically (or whatever ;) )

I hope that the concept has become clear, if there are any questions, please
ask, if there are any great ideas how we could improve this list of lists
and make it even more usfeul: go ahead and try!

Kilian