[Wiki Loves Monuments] UNESCO and Europeana: Memory of the World

Jane Darnell jane023 at gmail.com
Sun May 22 10:57:11 UTC 2011

Julia,
That looks like a really interesting conference, so I am sorry I missed the
live streaming. Did you get a chance to go see some presentations? I would
be especially interesting in the one on Documents as Monuments. Many
monuments have been lost to wars or just neglect and city planning, and old
engravings are a way to preserve the memory. I thought it was interesting
that that specific talk was given by someone from the Netherlands, and I was
wondering what the background of the talk was.

Our Wiki Loves Monuments photo contest will improve the coverage of
monuments on Wikipedia as these monuments stand today, but we need another
contest in order to improve the coverage of historical monuments in old
engravings, paintings, sculptural and tile tableaus... I am thinking of
churches of course, but there are many others as well. Yesterday I was at
the Dom Cathedral of Cologne (conveniently located across from the train
station) and was astonished to find out that more than 50% of it dates from
the 1880's.

It was nice meeting you in Berlin - we will always share the special memory
of the bongo-drum players appearing in our dorm room at the hostel in the
middle of the night!
Jane