[Wiki Loves Monuments] Missing coordinates

Strainu strainu10 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 13:15:06 UTC 2011

2011/6/14 Nuno Tavares <nuno.tavares at wikimedia.pt>:
> Strainu,
>
> We put a tool to manually fill in the gaps, where we use the technique
> of positioning as near as possible using municipaly, district, Portugal
> with gmaps API). If you're willing to manually fill in the coordinates,
> I can pass you the code (you should adapt it to you database schema,
> though):
> http://wlm.wikimedia.pt/tools/plist
>
> As a quick start, I'd suggest you to get a dump of wikipedia and import
> some coordinates from templates like {{coord}}, etc, although the
> optimal would be to get lists from official sources....

Thanks for the offer Nuno. Unfortunately, at the moment I don't have
the time to handle this. My preference would still be to use the OSM
data, as I have all the villages there from official sources. I was
merely pointing out that a generic solution might not work due to
limitations in the data from different countries. I hope I'll get
around to doing this before the contest. If I don't, well, too bad,
I'll have to wait till next year :)

Strainu