[Wiki Loves Monuments] First press release for the Swiss contest

Lodewijk lodewijk at effeietsanders.org
Sat Jun 4 13:01:31 UTC 2011

Hi Illario,

thanks for the explanation. First of all, this has indeed been discussed
before, and there was definitely some disagreement. In Berlin we discussed
this at some length weighing all the options and arguments where we came to
the conclusion that it would be best if all countries would stick to the
same dates. Please note that these are /upload/ dates, not necessarily the
dates they make the photo.

It would be really helpful if we don't revisit all the agreements we had in
Berlin (which were sent around on this list as well and met no further
opposition), at least not on major issues. Starting earlier has big
complications for all participants because:
1) it would make communication much more complicated
2) the upload facilities should be in place within 2 weeks compared to in 2
months
3) spreading over 3 months means less focus, less attention
4) we would come across as a loose set of groups instead of a good

The solution you mention is something we already arrived at in Berlin
actually, so I hope that would work indeed. We agreed that the basic
principle would be the upload date - it would not matter when the image was
photographed. If they upload images of 30 years ago in the snow that is very
welcome. Of course the restrictions self made etc still apply. Please keep
in mind that if you extensively communicate that in Switzerland (but that is
your responsibility, so just advice from me) and invite people to make the
photos before, they would have to keep them, and will likely forget and
loose attention too. A month is just enough span to catch.

I would like to encourage you to read through the results of the meeting
once again to make sure that we don't have another point we actually have
disagreement on - i would rather find that out sooner than later.

Best,

Lodewijk