[Translators-l] Ready for early translation: Tech News #05 (2017)

mathieu stumpf guntz psychoslave at culture-libre.org
Sat Jan 28 12:56:54 UTC 2017

Hi Philippe,

They are several distinct points in the answer of Johan, that you are
treating as a whole.

My question here was focused on a single page. While one might disagree
with it's conclusion to not translate this page, I think that the
argument – for this specific page – is reasonable. It's a page targeting
translator of the technews, not its general final readers. An other
argument in favor of such a translation, is that one might translate not
from directly from English, but from an other already translated
version: sure the less you have indirection, the better, but we might
have volunteers out there for who it might be the only skills they have
to offer. An other argument in favor of such a translation, is that our
movement praise transparency and availability of knowledge in native
languages, this page is (admittedly very small part) of how we organize,
so translating it fall in the intersection of this two goals.

Now, I think there are two others important points:

 1. Phabricator is in English: that is clearly something that should be
    fixed, as it makes the tool far more difficult to use maybe even
    unusable for non-English speakers.
 2. Wikimedia technical development is in English: well, that's also
    problematic, but here it's more a general global problematic of poor
    inclusion of internationalization problems in software development
    process in general (that is the internationalization of developers
    tools themselves, not the internationalization targeting end users).
    It's something for which we might try to foster good practice, but
    probably not easily resolve alone.

Cheers,

Mathieu