[Translators-l] Tech News translators: dates in recurring items

Johan Jönsson jjonsson at wikimedia.org
Thu Jan 19 16:31:04 UTC 2017

Hi everyone,

TL;DR: Dates in items that are in the newsletter every week could be in a
format that means you could get a 100% in the translation memory and not
have to change the days and months every week. Do you want this?

Longer version:

Based on Mathieu's suggestion, I've tested adding dates within <tvar> tags.
This makes it more complicated the first time you translate, but should
mean that you can then use a 100% match from the translation memory every
time and just click on it the same way you do for any other content that
stays exactly the same, instead of manually having to change the days and
months every new week.

It looks like this:
{#time:<tvar|defualtformat>d
xg</>|<tvar|date1>2017-01-24</>|<tvar|format_language_code>{{CURRENTCONTENTLANGUAGE}}</>}}
which means that I get this when I translate:
{{#time:$defualtformat|$date1|$format_language_code}}.

For Swedish, I can just keep it like that: Where the English original said
"24 January" the Swedish translation will say "24 januari".

Some languages write dates in another format. For Mandarin Chinese, the
first time I do a translation I need to change it to
{{#time:n月j日|$date1|$format_language_code}} (and the same for $date2 and
$date3). I imagine RTL languages will need to change something too the
first time they translate this, for example.

All possible options are described here:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:ParserFunctions#.23time

Pro: Less burden for returning translators. You translate this once,
whether you change the date format or not, then you just click on the
translation in the translation memory next week.

Con: More complicated. More difficult for new translators, especially if
the standard format doesn't match the norms of their language.

The question: Do you want this, or did you prefer it the way it was? This
is all about making it as easy as possible for you, so you decide.

https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Translate&group=page-Tech%2FNews%2F2017%2F04&action=page

//Johan Jönsson