[Translators-l] Possibly disabling some AggregateGroups

Niklas Laxström niklas.laxstrom at gmail.com
Sun Apr 16 16:23:39 UTC 2017

> Huh, that's actually a very good idea, Philippe! The aggregate group
> system came about because we needed a way to group pages about the same
> thing, especially like in the case of the IEG (Individuel Editor Grants)
> pages where there were several interconnected pages and templates, and the
> templates needed to be translated in order for the pages to be fully
> translated. So to be able to give a single link to how to translate,
> aggregate groups were needed. However, one problem that I had with that was
> that pages could only be part of one aggregate group (I think that has
> changed now), so when I had a template that was used both for IEG and
> another set of pages, that had to be treated differently.

The aggregate group system existed before translatable pages were a thing
;). The special page is just one front-end for defining the aggregate
groups (the other one in use being the YAML files). Categories could be
another way of doing it, but it is not without its own problems.

But yes, your idea of using categories instead, so that I would be able to
> give a link to Special:Translate?category=IEG_translatable_pages and have
> all pages in that category appear in the translate form, is a great one,
> and would be a very good replacement for the aggregate groups. Maybe you
> should write a Phabricator request for this feature, so the
> internationalization team can have a go at it at some point?

No such team exists currently. Language team exists, but almost all of
their time currently goes to developing the Content Translation extension.
There isn't lack of ideas how to make things better or prioritization of
those ideas [1][2]. There is a lack of resources, articulation of the pain
points and coming up with reasonably sized fixes (that can be implemented
with current resources) that provide the best cost/benefit ratio. In this
case, too, there likely exists a some simple change to the special page
that can make it usable again.

[1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Internationalisation_wishlist_2017
[2] https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/mediawiki-extensions-translate/

  -Niklas