[Translators-l] Possibly disabling some AggregateGroups

Philippe Verdy verdy_p at wanadoo.fr
Thu Apr 13 22:17:37 UTC 2017

It would be much smarter to ask developers to change something in the way
aggregate groups are presented, by not loading so much contents. It should
work mostly like categories indexing pages, and allow easier selection by
focusing to a group of interest without mixing everything on the same page
(this is not sustainable and it is really a challenge to have the
translation framework scale up to support large much larger wikis).

This has been already requested since long, but progresses for the
Translation extension are extremely slow (much slower than the current
growth of translated pages). It is already a huge problem for using it on
small devices, but even with modern browsers on fast PCs, we are still
constrained by the data volume generated by these pages, and the restricted
memory in browsers (most of them are still 32-bit, including on 64-bit
systems, due to their javascript engine, CSS engine, and DOM processor).

We've already passed since long the size that would cause normal wiki pages
to be signaled for excessive size.

Disabling groups is just a poor solution. Cast your vote and send your
opinion in Bugzilla to support this development.