[Translators-l] Ready for translation: Tech News #29 (2016)

Nick Wilson (Quiddity) nwilson at wikimedia.org
Fri Jul 15 16:37:40 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 4:32 AM, Benoît Evellin (Trizek)
<bevellin at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 12:57 PM, Purodha Blissenbach
> <purodha at blissenbach.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Benoît,
>> yes, thank you. I had found that page already. Now it is a bit clearer
>> what the SWAT window does mean, but I still do not have a clue what "SWAT"
>> is. Is it related to the military abbreviation S.W.A.T.? If so, I'd
>> probably
>> leave it untranslated as a(n English) technical term, do I ?
>

> I think to refers to the tactics police forces: the point is to act quick.
> I've put that "SWAT" term, because I know some people know it. I don't think
> it needs a translation.

SWAT has a humorous definition, explained (with dry humour) at
https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/SWAT_deploys#Humour (and is
possibly a backronym - a definition chosen after the word itself was
selected, not before.)
It does Not need a translation in Tech/News! :-)

I would guess that the term was chosen partially because it is meant to
imply (in my words) "heavily trained/experienced developers, working
on something complicated and time-critical", with a vague allusion to
the name of the specialized police teams.