[Translators-l] Ready for translation: Tech News #29 (2016)

Benoît Evellin (Trizek) bevellin at wikimedia.org
Fri Jul 15 11:32:53 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 12:57 PM, Purodha Blissenbach <
purodha at blissenbach.org> wrote:

> Hi Benoît,
> yes, thank you. I had found that page already. Now it is a bit clearer
> what the SWAT window does mean, but I still do not have a clue what "SWAT"
> is. Is it related to the military abbreviation S.W.A.T.? If so, I'd
> probably
> leave it untranslated as a(n English) technical term, do I ?

I think to refers to the tactics police forces
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SWAT>: the point is to act quick. I've put
that "SWAT" term, because I know some people know it. I don't think it
needs a translation.

On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 1:10 PM, Purodha Blissenbach <
purodha at blissenbach.org> wrote:

> hi Benoît,
> the llne:
>
>> In notifications, "Messages" are now "$notices".
>>
> appears a bit strange to me.
> 1 - should it not be "are now called/named .." and "messages", not
> "Messages" ?

Indeed. Guycn2 made the change, thanks to him!

> 2 - after translation, 'notifications', 'messages', and 'notices' are one
> identical word, usually :-)

Well, there is a difference, maybe subtile:
* Notifications are all message received and the name of the extension.
* Alerts are a type of message, with the most important ones. (translation
<https://translatewiki.net/w/i.php?title=Special:Search&search=echo-notification-alert-text-only>
)
* Notices are the less important ones, but about things that you want to
know about. (translation
<https://translatewiki.net/w/i.php?title=Special:Search&search=echo-notification-notice-text-only>
)

On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 1:21 PM, Vira Motorko <vira.motorko at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Benoit,
>
> Could you please fix dates in Meeting section?

Done, sorry.

> Thanks!
>
> *--*
> *Vira Motorko*
> ​user:Ата
>
> Are you saving your documents in free formats? ;)
>
> Help save natural resources – please think twice before printing this e-mail or any attachments.

> >:
>
>> I've added an item that I plan to add earlier but forgot to. My mind is
>> quite elsewhere today and I'm sorry about that :/
>>
>> I will not add elements until Monday morning, if any.
>>
>> Benoît
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 11:29 AM, Benoît Evellin (Trizek) <
>> bevellin at wikimedia.org> wrote:
>>
>>> The latest tech newsletter is ready for translation:
>>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Tech/News/2016/29
>>>
>>> Direct translation link:
>>>
>>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Translate&group=page-Tech%2FNews%2F2016%2F29&action=page
>>>
>>> I forgot to ensure that you get early translation link yesterday, and
>>> I'm really sorry about that. I really hope missing that step will not
>>> impact any translation.
>>>
>>> The text of the newsletter is now final. Johan will distribute it next
>>> Monday.
>>>
>>> Thank you and have a good weekend!
>>>
>>> With my apologies,
>>> Benoît