[Translators-l] Ready for early translation: Tech News #40 (2015)

Johan Jönsson jjonsson at wikimedia.org
Mon Sep 28 08:51:59 UTC 2015

On Sat, Sep 26, 2015 at 8:48 AM, Purodha Blissenbach
<purodha at blissenbach.org> wrote:
> On 25.09.2015 23:34, Johan Jönsson wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>> I wrote the "new beta feature" line with the future tense, to match the
>>> recurring "The new version of MediaWiki will be on [...]" item above.
>>> This
>>> seemed logical to me, because when the message is delivered on Monday the
>>> feature will not yet be available, but will become available during the
>>> week
>>> (Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday) as the deployments roll out to each group of
>>> wikis. I think that is the intended use of that section, but possibly
>>> I've
>>> misunderstood?
>>> Hmmm, I've now looked through the last few issues, and I see a slight mix
>>> of
>>> present and future tense in the "Changes this week" section (e.g #34 says
>>> "You can soon watch when something is added to or removed from a
>>> category"),
>>> but mostly present tense. I agree this is worth clarifying/standardizing
>>> in
>>> future issues.
>>> HTH, Quiddity
>>

>> I've previously mainly been using "now" but changed everything under
>> "changes this week" to the future tense because there has been some
>> confusion: when it's delivered on the Monday, editors have gone
>> looking for a certain feature or change they have been promised in the
>> present tense, only to find it hasn't been deployed yet and won't be
>> until e.g. Thursday.
>

> Strangely enough, I had always silently understood "this week" as the week
> of my translation, neither the deployment of the newsletter nor the
> deployment
> the features. So, yes, it should be future tense on Mondays - although - if
> people go to try it after reading, they may find features are not yet
> deployed,
> get frustrated and hateful :-) So why not have "Changes gone life last week"
> or so, giving people experienes of success, since we can be sure that tings
> work at once for them?

(Sorry for the late reply, was travelling over the weekend.)

That's mainly what "recent changes" is meant to cover. The benefit of
calling it "recent changes", I think, is that it's mainly things from
the week before the newsletter is distributed, but if we add something
that's a little bit older, we don't need another section. You think
another solution would be better?

//Johan Jönsson