[Translators-l] Content translators needed for a user study on article recommendations

Jonathan Morgan jmorgan at wikimedia.org
Thu Sep 24 16:30:03 UTC 2015

Hi Purodha,

On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 12:00 AM, Purodha Blissenbach <
purodha at blissenbach.org> wrote:

> On 23.09.2015 16:57, Samantha Becker wrote:
>
>> a) the editor must have previously translated at least one Wikipedia
>> article to or from English and one of the following languages:
>> Catalan, Farsi, French, Italian, Spanish, or Swahili.
>>

> Discriminating against the other languages?

The tool being tested is a pre-release 'alpha' stage and is only enabled
for these languages so far. Once it is refined, tested, and built, it will
be available in all languages for which there is a Wikipedia.

> b) the editor must be available to speak with a WMF researcher over
>> Google Hangout;
>>

> Please be aware that using Google and thus letting them and the
> secret services eavesdrop on our conversations may be not acceptable
> for some users.
>
> Purodha

Yes, I fully agree that there are various issues with Google Hangouts, and
I totally understand that this will be problematic for some users. My
personal issue with the tool is that it is not open source, rather than the
possible privacy/infosec issues you raise. But this kind of research
requires voice connection and shared schrees, and this is the tool that is
available to me for this function.

Jonathan T. Morgan
Senior Design Researcher
Wikimedia Foundation